My calves are feeling a tad sore today, a reminder of the miles DH and I walked in the mountains of NC this past weekend. I’m not complaining, however, for the slight tightness reminds me of our time together as we enjoyed the splendors of Mother Nature. We said, “Look at that!” so many times when one of us spotted yet another breathtaking view that it became almost humorous. Another reason I’m not complaining is because I’ve come to realize that it’s wonderful to have legs that work so well…and a heart and lungs that still do their jobs. DH and I half-seriously commented that one of these days we might not be so blessed to be able to traverse such terrain.
To be specific, the slight but wonderful soreness brings back memories of:
· the sound of the waterfall at the top of one of the trails at Chimney Rock and the cool mist of that same waterfall on my face,
· the colorful fall foliage,
· the creek with the humongous rocks,
· the sound of rushing water,
· the couple atop Chimney Rock who just celebrated their 52nd year together and their generous offer to take our picture,
· the coolness of the caves,
· the “feel” of Apple Valley and the taste of the Cameo apple that we cut with DH’s pocketknife and ate en route to Chimney Rock,
· enjoying “Tuesdays with Morrie” at the Flatrock Playhouse in Flat Rock,
· lessons learned from Mitch and Morrie at the Playhouse,
· the decorative goats adorning the streets of Hendersonville,
· the Mast General Store,
· a sweet deal on a rug from World of Clothing (25% off all rugs during October),
· the helpful grandmotherly advice from a knowledgeable lady at the apple barn about which apples were better for pies,
· and so on and on.
Our little weekend getaway reminded us that there’s a gentler way of life up the road adn that the world is full of beautiful sights we’ve yet to experience.
5 thoughts on “Sore Legs and Memories”
I had to read this just because of the title because I was worried about you! 🙂
But, you’ve been inspirational and reminded us all of all we have to be grateful for! Thanks for that and I hope that you’ll soon feel ‘un-sore’ and so on and on….. 🙂
Heidi, Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on this post. It was weird and wonderful at the same time to walk around and recall the great memories with every "tight" step I took.
LOL, you remind me of Chris who keeps trying to get me outside so we can ride our bicycles in the lovely autumn weather.
I’m glad you had an awesome time and your soreness is the PERFECT excuse to get a mssage. 😉
About that massage, yes ma'am to that!
Did you just love Chimney Rock? I love “apple season” I’m glad you had a great time.
Yes with a capital Y. And the apples were yummy. We couldn't get over seeing orchard after orchard laden with them.
yeh, chimmney rock…yea, the marriage talk in priesthood that all you girls missed…
We're still waiting to hear some of the words of wisdom that you learned. I'm assuming that you're putting them into practice, right?
I love the pics! Looks like fun!
It was huge fun. I'm still thinking about our hike to the waterfall.