I KNOW that counting blessings increases feelings of gratitude, happiness, and well being. In fact, psychologists are now looking at gratitude as a positive emotion that one needs to cultivate in order to ward off the blues and feel more optimistic and upbeat. That’s why I love Connie’s idea of coming up with 100 things that make you happy. Her list is great. While I’m pretty faithful about keeping a gratitude journal, some of my entries might be a little too private to share with the world. However, since today is the 26th, I thought I’d copy my friend’s example and enumerate 26 things that make me happy today.
My sister Ann sent me an email this week that began: “I’ll tell you something positive -God is good! Even so, I will not be attending your book club.” She’s funny gal, and I liked her opening sentence so well that I thought I’d begin the list with her.
- My sister…she’s brainy, zany, and downright delightful.
- DH’s many skills. Just this week, he’s installed a ceiling fan and two light fixtures.
- My three children and their unique talents, temperaments, and charm.
- The uniqueness of our grandchildren, with a special mention of Brooke’s prissiness and blond halo of curls. She just had her third birthday and deserves to be singled out. In fact, I think I’ll mention the other two who are in her age category.
- Hannah’s sweet, sweet, sweet nature and soft voice.
- Whitney’s determination and the way she asks, “Where’s Grandma Jayne?”
- Words. Take stellar for instance…or spendy, a new word I picked up from urbandictionary.com.
- Books. All kinds of books. A few personal favorites include The Little Engine that Could, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, The Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Joy Luck Club, Water for Elephants, and To Kill a Mockingbird.
- Music, including such diversity songs as “Baby, I Need Your Loving” and “Thy Spirit Lord Has Stirred Our Souls.”
- El sol and how it illuminates the earth and provides energy.
- Our screened in porch, a private window on Mother Nature.
- Friends, old and new and those I’ve yet to meet. A special salute to Connie who recently turned 39 again and whose creativity, contagious laugh, and generous spirit endear her to one and all.
- Memories. Even now I can see my mother looking her beautiful, ladylike self in a pink flowery dress.
- Parents who set great examples and made a host of sacrifices
- Color—Isn’t turquoise awesome?
- The ocean.
- Living in America, a choice land.
- The power of prayer.
- Scriptures. What better source is there for guidance, solace, and inspiration?
- Technology…cell phones, computers, and televisions.
- Laughter, especially Carrie’s and Katherine’s when they get carried away.
- Amanda Stalvey. If I’d handpicked my son’s future wife, I couldn’t have found anyone more perfect for him.
- Washing machines and dryers. Without them, I’d be down by the riverside doing laundry instead of blogging.
- TJ Maxx.
- Movies, my all-time favorite being Fried Green Tomatoes.
- My awesome brothers and their wives whom I consider sisters.
I feel happier now…and more upbeat and energetic. Why don’t you try coming up with your own list and see if it works for you. I’ll be waiting and watching.